Skip to content

Let’s finish setting up your profile

We want to help you reach your goals. Complete your profile to find resources and schools that match your goals.

Log in or create an account

An account has a lot of perks. You can save your favorite careers, schools, and articles to your profile. You can even connect with an advisor for personalized recommendations.

Log in to get all the benefits of My Texas Future. If you don't have an account, you'll have the option to create one.

Your session has expired

To continue using My Texas Future, please log in to your account.

Something went wrong

Sorry, we couldn’t submit your information successfully.

Please try again or review our FAQs.

Credit for work and life experience

Five ways to graduate faster and spend less on school.

Ways to get college credit

Returning to school as an adult has a few perks — namely, you may be able to get college credit for your skills and work/life experiences acquired outside of a traditional classroom. All of which can save time and money in your pursuit of a degree.  

And while each school may set different limits on what credits they accept, with more adults returning to school, the process is becoming more common.  

Graduate faster - Getting a degree can take 120 units at minimum. You may be able to get college credit for up to 30 units, depending on the school and program.  

Spend less - A college class can also cost upwards of a few thousand dollars. Every class you receive credit for is a dollar you can save. There are a few ways to get college credit for your experience, which you’ll need to apply for. Those options include the following: 

  1. Credit By Exam 
  2. Military Training Credit 
  3. Corporate Training Programs 
  4. Professional Licenses and Credentials 
  5. Academic Portfolio  

Learn about each method’s benefits, requirements, and limits. 


Tip: Before you apply, consider which tests or experience schools will accept, how much credit for each test is worth, and how much total credit the school will accept through testing.

Credit by Exam

College Level Examination Program (CLEP) 

The College Level Examination Program (CLEP) allows students to take tests in 30+ subject areas to earn college credits.  A variety of online and residential colleges accept CLEP. Schools award credits to students who meet the minimum qualifying exam score, typically 50–60 out of a possible 80. CLEP is accepted by many Texas schools including Texas A&M, Texas State, Baylor, and the University of Texas. 

Every school sets the number of CLEP credits they accept. If getting the maximum credit is important to you, keep that in mind as you do your college research. 


Tip: If you used CLEP and change schools, you will have to go through the transfer process again. And your new school may not accept the same number of credits.

DANTES Subject Standardization Tests (DSST) 

Originally just for military personnel, now anyone can take a DANTES exam. If you pass, you can apply for credit to meet your degree requirements. Every school sets the number of DSST credits they accept. If getting the maximum credit is important to you, you may want to keep that in mind as you research colleges. 


Tip: What’s the difference between CLEP and DSST? Content and test length. Each test offers different courses that may not be covered by the other. Also, the DSST typically runs 30 minutes longer than the CLEP.

Credit for military training and service

If you served in the military or attended any military training school, you likely have credits through the American Council on Education (ACE). Bootcamp alone could be worth credit for physical education! See the credits you could earn by the occupation you had in the military with the ACE Military Guide

Similarly, the Texas College Credit for Heroes program seeks to maximize college credit awarded to veterans and service members for their military experience. It focuses on schools specific to Texas. 

What are Joint Services Transcripts (JST)?  

To convert your military experience into college credits, schools will need your Joint Services Transcript (JST). Your JST provides proof of your military education, training, and experience. Schools will review your transcript and then decide how much credit to award.  

Military transcripts include the following: 

  • Personal service member data 
  • Military course completions 
  • Military occupations  
  • College-level test scores — CLEP, DSSTs, and NCPACE score data 
  • Other learning experiences — courses and occupations not evaluated by ACE for college credit 

Tip: Ask the college you’re interested in to give you an unofficial evaluation of your transfer credits before you enroll.

Corporate and professional training

In today’s competitive marketplace, many organizations invest in the skills of their professionals. A wide variety of in-house and other training courses may be approved for college credit.  

The American Council on Education (ACE) works with employers and colleges to recommend training for degree credit. 

Professional licenses and credentials

Did you know a real estate, aviation, or other professional license may count towards college credit? In fact, online colleges often accept state and nationally recognized licenses for class credit.  

Examples of qualifying credentials include the following: 

  • Certified Computer Programmer 
  • Certified Novell Engineer 
  • Respiratory Therapist Technician 
  • Certified Professional Secretary 
  • Chartered Financial Consultant 

The number of credits you can earn will depend on the license and school. 

Academic portfolio

If you have artwork, videos, software, or other work examples that are best represented visually, submitting an academic portfolio could be an ideal forum to get credit for your work. You might also be able to submit business deliverables such as a report or business strategy document.  

What you can submit and how much you can earn will depend entirely on the school. You may need to take a class to learn exactly how to put together a portfolio that meets your school’s requirements. Other schools may provide guidelines and have you submit it on your own.  

Reach out to your school directly for answers to questions on academic portfolios. 

Employer educational benefits
Learn more about Employer educational benefits
Tuition assistance for veterans and military families
Learn more about Tuition assistance for veterans and military families